- Give users direct access to the different sections of a PDF file.
- Provide a structure of headings to users who need that.
- allow PDFs to be read using a technical aid.
- Improve the accessibility of content for people with disabilities.
- Improve the way content is taken into account by search engines and indexing tools
When the PDF document comes from an office suite such as Word or OpenOffice, you must use the styles and formatting in the software in order to generate a structured PDF, by applying text styles such as Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3 for the different heading levels. These styles can then be modified to suit the desired presentation. Finally, the Export tagged PDF option must be enabled when exporting PDF. For more information, see the accessibility section of the site http://www.adobe.com.
For each internal PDF document, check the presence of the title structure elements:
- using a code inspection tool;
- by opening the document in a PDF reader which can display bookmarks;
- or by consulting the document in a screen reader.
Discover Opquast training and certification
The objective of these rules and the Opquast community mission is ‘making the web better’ for your customers and for everyone! Opquast rules cover the key major areas of risk that can negatively affect website users such as privacy, ecodesign, accessibility and security.