- Let users know, in a timely manner, whether their tools will allow them to view the downloadable files.
- Reduce server load by avoiding needless downloads.
- Improve the accessibility of content for people with disabilities.
At the very least, provide a help page indicating the file format offered if it is unique.
Better, indicate the format for each link used to download a file.
Find out more:
For each download link, check that it is possible to know its format using:
- Generic information given in a help page;
- Information given next to the link: paragraph or
lilisting element where it is included, title of the preceding section, table header cell associated with the relevant table;
titleattribute of the link taking and completing the caption of this link;
- Information given in the wording of the link;
- An icon with alternative text indicating the file format.