- Let users know, in a timely manner, whether their tools will allow them to view the downloadable files.
- Reduce server load by avoiding needless downloads.
- Improve the accessibility of content for people with disabilities.
At the very least, provide a help page indicating the file format offered if it is unique.
Better, indicate the format for each link used to download a file.
Find out more:
For each download link, check that it is possible to know its format using:
- Generic information given in a help page;
- Information given next to the link: paragraph or
lilisting element where it is included, title of the preceding section, table header cell associated with the relevant table;
titleattribute of the link taking and completing the caption of this link;
- Information given in the wording of the link;
- An icon with alternative text indicating the file format.
Business application and benefits
The rules should be applied to your projects from the design phase through to post-implementation , and they should be understood by all professionals with web and customer experience (CX) responsibilities: from strategy to operations, marketers to project managers, and editorial to technical staff. The benefits of using this ruleset are numerous, including improving customer satisfaction, web performance, and e-commerce, and expanding your client base, while also decreasing your errors and costs.
The objective of these rules and the Opquast community mission is ‘making the web better’ for your customers and for everyone! Opquast rules cover the key major areas of risk that can negatively affect website users such as privacy, ecodesign, accessibility and security.