- Enable the automated detection of incorrect URLs.
- Send reliable information to the browser.
- Reduce the energy impact related to the consultation of the site.
- Improve the way content is taken into account by search engines and indexing tools.
Modify the web server configuration to send the user to a customised page when the requested resource does not exist
If the main server configuration is not directly accessible and if the environment allows it, use a local configuration by directory. For example, the Apache environment authorises the creation of an
.htaccess file containing directives relating to error handling:
ErrorDocument 404 /mapage.html.
For each site checked:
- Enter the URL address of the site followed by random characters (such as http://www.example.com/lsghlshdgkjsdgk).
- Check with a development tool that the status shown is
404 not found.