- Allow users to access their accounts, even if they have lost their passwords.
- Simplify user account management.
- Boost security, by preventing the storage of passwords that are unencrypted so they can be re-sent to their users.
Provide a link to send an email explaining the reset procedure, to the address associated with the account.
Ideally, place this link in the login form.
On a website offering a personal account protected by password:
- Without being identified on the site, check that there is a link such as "Forgot your password?" adjacent to the login form;
- Check that there is a procedure allowing a new password to be created on the page which the "Forgot your password?" link points to;
- Check that this is indeed a reset procedure and not just sending the current password.
Discover Opquast training and certification
The objective of these rules and the Opquast community mission is ‘making the web better’ for your customers and for everyone! Opquast rules cover the key major areas of risk that can negatively affect website users such as privacy, ecodesign, accessibility and security.