- Allow users to accurately identify the nature of the link and prevent incorrect actions.
- Enable indexing tools to associate a label with a resource.
- Allow screen readers to explicitly indicate the target and, as a result, to prevent user disorientation.
- Improve the way content is taken into account by search engines and indexing tools.
- Improve the accessibility of content for people with disabilities.
Indicate unambiguously the content of the target page of the link, the function of the link or its behaviour, if applicable, in the wording of the links (portion of text located between the <a href="URL"> and </a> tags or in the text alternative of the image placed between these tags, possibly combined with the wording).
Find out more:
In the source code of each text link or image-link
- Check that the wording of the link explicitly designates the nature or the function of the targeted content, or the specific function of the link;
- Check, in the case of link images, that the
alt attributeof the image performs this function.